Saturday, January 2, 2010

Most Times Victim of a Team's Last Win

I like obscure facts about the NCAA Tournament. As I was updating the reports for my website, I was looking at each team's game-by-game results and noticing when their last tournament victory was and who they defeated. I started to noticed some common names of the opponent of the last victory. This made me wonder which school was the victim of a team's last win the most.

Since I have a database of all of the games, the answer to that question was not hard to find. Notre Dame has been 7 teams' last NCAA Tournament win. Those 7 games are:
  • 1963: Bowling Green 77 Notre Dame 72 - Round of 32
  • 1971: Drake 79 Notre Dame 72 - Sweet Sixteen
  • 1986: Arkansas-Little Rock 90 Notre Dame 83 - First Round
  • 1988: Southern Methodist 83 Notre Dame 75 - First Round
  • 2001: Mississippi 59 Notre Dame 56 - Second Round
  • 2007: Winthrop 74 Notre Dame 64 - First Round
  • 2008: Washington State 61 Notre Dame 41 - Second Round
Following right behind Notre Dame is Brigham Young with 6. Here is the top ten most times victim of a team's last win:


Team
Times
Notre Dame 7
Brigham Young 6
Pittsburgh 5
Tennessee 5
California 4
Illinois 4
Iowa 4
Oklahoma 4
South Carolina 4
Wake Forest 4

No comments:

Post a Comment