Monday, December 28, 2009

Introduction to HoopsTournament.Net

I am an college basketball fanantic. I started following the NCAA Tournament in 1983 when I was 10 years old. I watched the tournament selection show that year and I got a bracket from the Sporting News. I was hooked. Since then, I have not missed a selection show. I watch it every year live. When I was dating my wife, we went out to eat on Selection Sunday and I told her that I had to be back by 5:30 to watch the selection show. She didn't understand then. She does now. I plan my life around the tournament.

While watching the tournament, I would always wonder about how teams had fared in various situations in tournament history. I could not find anywhere that had the amount of information that I needed. So I set out to research and create a database of every tournament game. I started this project in 1992. In 1999, I first published my results on the internet. In 2000, I started HoopsTournament.Net.

I continue to add to the website each year. It started with adding additional data. My current focus is creating a page for each team. The page includes the following items:
  • Game by Game results of every tournament game for that team
  • Records by that team in different situations (such as record on Thursday, vs. the Big Ten, etc.)
  • Link to the team's official basketball home page
  • Link to the team's official conference basketball home page
  • Link to the team's most popular message board
  • News feed
This year I have started the social networking aspect of the website also. With this first entry, I am now starting a blog. In this blog, the main purpose will be to compile information about the NCAA Tournament. At times, I will also give my opinion and introduce (what I think) are interesting facts about tournament history.

I also started a page on facebook at http://www.facebook.com/pages/HoopsTournamentNet/80737753813 and on twitter at http://twitter.com/HoopsTournNet. I will share links, retweets from others that I follow and post one-line facts while watching the tournament games on these pages.

If you have any comments on ways to improve the website, please feel free to let me know. I want this to be the most comprehensive resource for NCAA Tournament History on the internet.

No comments:

Post a Comment