Texas Southern is now 2-8 all-time in the NCAA Tournament. Their only other win was 64-46 over North Carolina Central in the 2018 First Four.
Johnny Jones, Texas Southern Coach, wins his first tournament game in 4 tries. He lost first round games in 2007 and 2010 for North Texas and 2015 for Louisiana State. The 14 years between his first tournament and first tournament win is tied for the 6th most all-time.
Most Years Between First Tournament and First Tournament Win
- Kermit Davis Jr. 27 (First Game: 1989 - Idaho; First Win: 2016 - Middle Tennessee State)
- Cy Alexander 24 (First Game: 1989 - South Carolina State; First Win: 2013 - North Carolina A&T)
- Ed Diddle 20 (First Game: 1940 - Western Kentucky; First Win: 1960 - Western Kentucky)
- Fran McCaffrey 20 (First Game: 1988 - Lehigh; First Win: 2008 - Siena)
- Blaine Taylor 18 (First Game: 1992 - Montana; First Win: 2010 - Old Dominion)
- Pete Carril 14 (First Game: 1969 - Princeton; First Win: 1983 - Princeton)
- Murray Greason 14 (First Game: 1939 - Wake Forest; First Win: 1953 - Wake Forest)
- Seth Greenberg 14 (First Game: 1993 - Long Beach State; First Win: 2007 - Virginia Tech)
- Johnny Jones 14 (First Game: 2007 - North Texas; First Win: 2021 - Texas Southern)
- Ritchie McKay 14 (First Game: 2005 - New Mexico; First Win: 2019 - Liberty)
- Holy Cross - 63 Years (1953 to 2016)
- Baylor - 60 Years (1950 to 2010)
- Stanford - 53 Years (1942 to 1995)
- St. Mary's - 51 Years (1959 to 2010)
- Drake - 50 Years (1971 to 2021)
Darian DeVries, Drake coach, wins his first tournament game.
Drake's 53 points is their fewest points scored in 10 tournament games. Their previous low was 71 vs. Kansas in the 1971 Elite Eight.
Wichita State's 52 points is the fewest that Drake has allowed in 10 tournament games. Their previous low allowed was 63 vs. Texas A&M in the 1969 Sweet Sixteen
Drake's 1-point win is their first tournament win (in 4 tries) in a game decided by one possession (3 or fewer points)
Wichita State is now 18-18 all-time in the NCAA Tournament. The are now 0-2 as a member of the American Athletic Conference.
Wichita State' 52 points is their fewest points in 36 tournament games. Their previous low was 54 vs. Oklahoma State in the 1965 Elite Eight.
Norfolk State is now 2-1 in the NCAA Tournament.
Robert Jones, Norfolk State coach, wins his first tournament game.
Appalachian State is now 0-3 in the NCAA Tournament. Their three tournament games each came 21 years apart (1979, 2000, 2021).
UCLA is 107-42 all-time in the NCAA Tournament. The 107 wins is 5th all-time.
Mic Cronin is the 10th coach to win a tournament game for UCLA. They tie Western Kentucky for the most coaches to win at least one NCAA Tournament game.
UCLA is 2-0 vs. Michigan State in the tournament. They defeated Michigan State 78-76 in the 2011 Round of 64.
UCLA is 6-2 in overtime games. Michigan State is 3-5.
Michigan State is now 69-33 in the NCAA Tournament.
Michigan State's is 0-4 as a double-digit seed. Their other 3 losses were all as a #10 seed.